Monday, September 30, 2013

Do Not Track Plus

Downloading the add-on, "Do Not Track Plus" is a bit of an eyeopener when it comes to seeing who can see what websites you visit while you're on the internet. I began by visiting several well-known websites such as Facebook and Pinterest, and then I moved on to visit smaller websites which I found in google such as wedding dress websites. I found that the more well-known websites got more hits in the tracker (though there were only 3 or 4 on each website) than the less popular websites did. The website where I got the most "hits" was when I clicked on a "best vines" link on Facebook. On this site, I was being tracked by 15 other websites instantaneously. I was surprised to find that google is one of the websites that is tracking what you're doing online, and a little scared that something I had never heard of was tracking me. I was also surprised to find that Facebook is one of the websites that tracks you wherever you go. This can be a little scary when you think about all of the information that these websites may have access to as soon as you click "go".

No comments:

Post a Comment