Wednesday, August 28, 2013

"The Common Core's fundamental trouble" response

Summary:
The article, "The Common Core's fundamental trouble" by Valerie Strauss covers a lot of information shared by the editors of a magazine called "Rethinking Schools." The article discusses yet another side of the new Common Core State Standards, and a cry for honesty from those who are so quick to implement the new standards. The article compares the new Common Core State Standards to the previous, and at the time "failing," "No Child Left Behind" policy. According to the author, the decade-long NCLB program caused more harm than good, and had standards that were set too high for students to reach the goals set for them. Under these previous standards, many schools fell in to a failing category and any that hadn't reached that point, were well on their way. The author describes that under the new CCSS standards, we are going to push students over the edge. The new standards have expectations that are too high, unreasonable necessities as far as technology, and no consideration from parents, educators or students about the implementation of this program.

Opinion:
I find that with every new article I read about the Common Core State Standards, my opinion changes a little more. Sometimes I find that I am easily swayed by the opinion of others, but all of the new information that is coming to light about the CCSS, both positive and negative, is allowing me to create my own opinion. This article address the previous failing program "No Child Left Behind," which is the program that I was in school with. I never knew very much about the program or it's effects on students until this article. If the NCLB standards were truly causing students to fail, and the CCSS is harder than the previous program, I do not understand why on earth anyone would want to implement it in to our school systems. At the end of the article, the author discusses the problems that occurred while students were used as sample testers for the Common Core State Standards tests, "Students reported feeling overstressed and underprepared - meeting the tests with schlock, anger, tears, and anxiety. Administrators requested guidelines for handling tests students had vomited on." When you're getting feedback like this from students, and you truly want them to succeed, why would you put a program like this in to effect? I am going to have to agree with the author in saying that this is going to cause more children to drop out of school than to meet college and career readiness. The negatives certainly do outweigh the positives.

4 comments:

  1. I too find myself being swayed each time I read an article on this topic. However, most of what I have read are negatives, and I too wonder why we would implement a policy that seems to be set up for students to fail. This just does not seem right. I liked your summary of the article and I found that I agree with your opinion piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic is a hard topic to figure out for me. I enjoyed some of your word usage in the summary saying things like "..a cry for honesty from those who are so quick to implement the new standards" That puts in place that this article has a negative outlook on these new standards. I really liked your opinion as well. The part about so many things coming out about these new standards was good, saying that you are being swayed. It is really hard to decide if this is good for schools or not but I completely agree that based on this article, and that students failed with the No Child Left Behind Act then we should not implement this in our schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you are commenting on specific phrases in Tommi's post. That's critical to be specific and understand what's being said or needs clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding Tommi. Very open and honest. There is nothing wrong with swaying while you are piecing it all together. That is critically thinking!

    ReplyDelete